Basic Splashback Panel Information
This guide been produced by Genie Splashbacks to act as a reference for information regarding splashback panel information bought from Genie Splashbacks. This guide is for information purposes only and must not be construed as full instructions. It is advisable that any persons not fully comfortable or confident in amending panels seeks professional help from a trades person. Genie Splashbacks cannot accept any responsibility for damage or errors caused to panels by customers or trades persons.
About your new Genie Splashbacks panels
All of our Genie Splashback panels are made from a high-quality, UK manufactured acrylic, making them perfect for residential, commercial and industrial environments.
As with our range of uncoated 5mm natural crystal, 3mm natural crystal, solid colour Perspex™ and glass panels, there is no grout to fade or get grubby. This makes Genie Splashbacks, Upstands, Kickplates and Shower Panels the perfect solution for a modern, hygienic and effortless finish to any room or wall.
5mm Hard-coated acrylic (premium gloss)
- Your scratch resistant hard-coated panels also have mould and detergent resistant properties; making them the most hygienic and safe way to protect your kitchen, bathroom or any other room or purpose. They are light, while remaining very hard wearing. Acrylic is up to 10 times more impact resistant than glass. There is an unlimited range of colours and designs, while colour matching available. Colour and designs are applied to the rear of the panel giving that expensive, bespoke, glass effect. These have a high gloss front face finish.
5mm Hard-coated acrylic (premium matt)
- Your scratch resistant hard-coated panels also have mould and detergent resistant properties; making them the most hygienic and safe way to protect your kitchen, bathroom or any other room or purpose. They are light, while remaining very hard wearing. Acrylic is up to 10 times more impact resistant than glass. There is an unlimited range of colours and designs, while colour matching available. Colour and designs are applied to the rear of the panel giving that expensive, bespoke, glass effect. These have a unique matt front face finish.
5mm Uncoated (natural crystal)
- Visually indistinguishable from our Premium Hard-coated panels. The only difference is that these panels do not have the scratch, mould and chemical resistant properties.
3mm Uncoated (natural crystal 3mm)
- A thinner 3mm thick alternative to our 5mm thick panels. These are much more flexible than our 5mm panels, making them perfect for slight curves or situations where ultra-light applications are needed. These do not have scratch, mould and chemical resistant properties.
Solid Perspex colours
- Standard Perspex solid colour sheets. The colour is applied throughout the panel as opposed to the rear. Not scratch resistant unless specified. Thicknesses are 5mm as standard – other thicknesses available if requested.
- Highly scratch resistant, toughened glass. Our glass is low-Iron…meaning that it is as crystal clear as possible. This stops the green tint that you see on most glass, meaning the colour will be unaltered and seen as it was intended. Tough and heavyweight items. Bespoke, unique, classy look. Our glass is heat resistant so can be used behind direct heat sources. You can have any colour or design…just as all our acrylics.
Things to remember
- Your new Genie Splashbacks acrylic panels are not suitable for behind gas or electric cooker hobs. They can, however, be installed behind induction and ceramic hobs as long as a minimum distance of 50mm is maintained.
- Where a direct heat source is in use (i.e. behind gas hobs), we can supply low-iron toughened glass panels for installation as an alternative.
- Due to temperature variations, your Genie Splashbacks panels will expand and contract slightly. With this in mind, the panels should always be installed with an expansion gap. Our recommendation is a to allow 2mm expansion on each side of your panel.
- If storing your Genie Splashbacks panels for any length of time, refrain from outdoor environments or extreme temperatures. Failure to do so can result in damage or bowing of the panels. Ensure that your panels are kept flat.
- Avoid your Genie Splashbacks panels coming into contact with hot cooking utensils, cookware or naked flames. Failure to do so can result in damage of the panels.
- Where installing your Genie Splashbacks panels over existing tiles, it is important to check that the existing tiles are safely secured to the wall. Loose tiles may result in improper adhesion of your Genie Splashbacks panels to the surface or result in an uneven or wavy panel effect. (For further information, see our Installing over existing tiled walls guide.)
- Your new Genie Splashbacks panels should only be used with a low modulus silicone adhesive. The low modulus silicone will take at least 24 hours to cure and so should be left for this period of time before further work or components are fitted to your Genie Splashbacks panels. Failure to use low modulus silicone will have a detrimental effect on your panel and could result in damage.
- Please ensure that walls are sealed and non-porous. Any boarding boards that have been used behind the splashbacks must also be sealed. This can be in way of wall sealant solutions or by simply paining them.
How to clean your Genie Splashbacks panel
To clean your panel, use a soft cloth and warm soapy water. Do not use a brush, scouring pad or high strength cleaning products. Never rub the panel to clean it if the surface is dry as this may cause damage to the surface. While the hard-coated range of Genie Splashbacks™ panels is scratch resistant, cleaning with abrasive materials can result in light scratches and abrasions. To remove silicone or stronger substances from your panel, use a small amount of Turpentine on a soft, lint-free cloth.